There is this superstition that if you tell people about your plans their negative energy might stop them from becoming a reality. Thus, the best strategy is: "if you have plans, keep them to yourself until they are finalized!". Perhaps there is some truth to this but my personal experience has been the exact opposite. Maybe because I naturally talk a lot, because I find it hard to contain my excitement when I have a great idea or because I like to see people's reaction and thoughts regarding my idea. Whatever the reason may be, my experience has been that every time I shared my ideas or plans with others, they always came to pass. There is surely validity to both approaches but I would like to point out the advantages of actually speaking about your plans to the right people and in this way bringing them to life.
- Once you start telling others about your plan, the idea transitions into a real project. At this point: things just got real!
- People will hold you accountable. Once you have shared your idea of venturing into something new, people will ask you about it. They will expect you to have a status update, which means you are constantly reminded of your project and your responsibility to see it through to completion.
- You already start establishing your network at an early stage. That means, once you are at the completion stage of your project you will have people to turn to for expansion of your network and further promotion.
- A different perspective. Often things we envision in our head seem so logical to us that we forget that another person might not see it the same way. They have not been part of your entire thought process, therefore things might not be as obvious to them. Speaking to another person could give you another perspective on things. Maybe even uncover important aspects that you never thought of but should put into consideration. After all, if your project is something that involves other people and is not just for yourself, you will be forced to look at it from different angles.
- The more you actively declare that you are working on something, you speak it into existence and reality. The continuous positive declarations you make about your plans will bring them to life.
"The rain and snow come down from the heavens and stay on the ground to water the earth. They cause the grain to grow, producing seed for the farmer and bread for the hungry. It is the same with my word. I send it out, and it always produces fruit. It will accomplish all I want it to, and it will prosper everywhere I send it." - Isaiah 55:10-11 NLT.
In a nutshell, the greatest benefit of speaking and praying about your plans is that they become real to you and your environment. Still, you should be sure to choose the right audience - your circle of confidants - to speak about your plans. If the right people, besides holding you accountable, can also offer positive advice and support, you will benefit immensely and it will give you the added boost needed to complete your venture.